Paul Pogba’s Man Utd career could be over as Ralf Rangnick gives injury update

Ralf Rangnick has suggested that Paul Pogba played his last game for Manchester United.

The 29-year-old came through Old Trafford’s youth setup, rejoining the club in 2016 following a successful season at Juventus for a world-record fee.

But Pogba’s return hasn’t worked out the way either side would like and it looks like the World Cup winner will leave United this summer when his contract expires.

Paul Pogba has not had a successful spell at Old Trafford

Paul Pogba has not had a successful spell at Old Trafford (Martin Rickett/PA)

There is little sign of him agreeing to a new contract, meaning the 10 minutes he managed before injuring his calf in Tuesday’s 4-0 loss to Liverpool will likely be his last for the club.

Rangnick said: “With Paul, as it seems after the scan we did the day before yesterday, it is very unlikely that he will play again until the end of the season.”

Asked if Pogba had played his last game for United, Rangnick said: “The doctor told me it will take a minimum of four weeks to recover and the last game is at the end of May.

“I don’t think it’s very likely that I’ll be able to play again.”

Pogba is one of several players to leave during a summer of trades that will be overseen by new manager Erik ten Hag.

The Ajax boss will start as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s permanent successor in the summer, having signed a contract until 2025 with the option of a further year.

“We haven’t met in person, we haven’t met in person yet,” Rangnick said of Ten Hag.

“But from what I have seen him do both at Bayern Munich when he was under-23 coach and now at Ajax, I like his football.

“I am quite positive with a full pre-season, with the opportunity to build and mold your own staff, also a new team, which is obvious: we will have a new team.

“With a full preseason, I’m pretty sure we’ll see a different team and an improvement on the field.

Ralf Rangnick expects Manchester United to improve next season

Ralf Rangnick expects Manchester United to improve next season (Martin Rickett/PA)

“I knew that Erik was one of the candidates the board talked to.

“Obviously I told them, at least from what I’ve seen and heard from people who have worked with Erik, that I think he would be a good fit.

“I still believe that it is a very good choice. And all the other things that we haven’t had time to talk about until now.”

Rangnick’s two-year consultant role is a key issue, but the immediate focus is on Saturday’s decider at Arsenal, the four main rivals.

United cannot afford to lose any more ground after their embarrassment at Anfield, where several players missed out through injury and Cristiano Ronaldo was given a compassionate leave.

Rangnick confirmed that the leader will be back alongside Raphael Varane in the capital, where Scott McTominay is set to start after being named an emergency substitute at Liverpool.

Harry Maguire is also on hand with the Manchester United captain’s spokesman saying he is preparing “for this weekend’s game as normal” after receiving a bomb threat on Thursday.

Rangnick said: “I haven’t seen it because I only found out about this terrible, terrible thing yesterday afternoon. Since then I haven’t been able to talk to him.

“But again, this is another bad sign of the crazy world we live in.

“Obviously I’m very sorry for Harry having had that ordeal, but he knows we all have his back – the club, everyone, the players, his team-mates. It’s sad enough that crazy things like that happen.”

Leave a Comment