Match Report: Manchester City 2-2 Liverpool

One of the most important matches of the entire Premier League season kicks off at the Etihad Stadium. Manchester City hosts Liverpool, and the two teams are separated by only one point. Whoever wins will gain a boost to the title race in recent weeks.

It took six minutes for the match to explode. Kevin De Bruyne fired a quick dash through the middle, releasing Gabriel Jesus down the right. His first cross to Raheem Sterling looked sure-fired.

However, Allison did a great deal with the Englishman’s denial. However, City kept pressing and after a quick free kick, De Bruyne’s skewed shot was accepted by the post before entering. Liverpool were struggling to get the ball as City were urged by the fans.

They will be in rude shock. Andy Robertson sent a cross to Trent Alexander-Arnold, who fired the ball to Diogo Jota, who did not miss these days.

The intensity of the match was off the charts. Both teams were going to hell and flogging. Ederson almost gave Liverpool a goal by failing to clear the pass but he did so on the goal line. De Bruyne had another sharp opportunity that was dragged wide. The gorgeous scene got another twist soon enough.

A corner kick from City was cleared only up to Joao Cancelo. The left-back’s cross from the far post found the path of Gabriel Jesus, who was walking behind the defense line. Alison rushed to close the corner but there was nothing to stop Jesus.

Liverpool had a tough time every time they lost possession. Jurgen Klopp knew something had to change in the first half. For Pep Guardiola, it was about keeping the same rhythm and seeing the win. This plan went out of the window immediately upon reboot.
The match ended in a double between Alexander-Arnold and Mohamed Salah, with a wonderful cross kick by Sadio Mane. With Ederson out, Mane produced an unmistakable finish.

Suddenly, Liverpool was doing it all. Guetta’s shot to his left was saved by Ederson. City regained a foothold in the match over time. Sterling thought he had given his team the lead again but was denied by the VAR when he called his goal an offside.

The match slowed dramatically towards the end as both sides were wary of conceding. Riyad Mahrez had his best chance in the final seconds but lifted his cracked effort high over the bar. The game is all over squared.

Here are the three main points from the match:

City dropped two points

They had the most obvious first-line opportunity, regularly upsetting Liverpool’s stagnant defence. De Bruyne, Cancelo, Jesus and Sterling came close to two of them achieving their goals. The pressure from City was so great that they could add one or two more. Despite having some defensive issues themselves, City were an attacking giant.

However, two minutes into the disjointed second half cost them the win. And Pep Guardiola’s face after entering Liverpool told the whole story. However, the ball was in the net but Sterling was properly cleared for offside.

Lucky Liverpool do enough

Liverpool’s offer was by no means old. The Reds were speeded up and provoked by City throughout the first half. Virgil van Dijk was a picture of a mismatch as Liverpool allowed City to score two goals. Although the first was a cruel aberration, Alexander Arnold could have done a lot about the second.

Klopp’s team scored two goals and was much better in the second half. Salah gave a quiet game, except for the crucial passes, while Luis Diaz did his best. Victory was not imminent and they will need help from the other teams now.

Nobody advantage

remains as it was. City leads Liverpool by one point with seven games remaining. Guardiola’s men have the easier game list and Liverpool will worry a bit. There is still a chance of a big surprise but City’s loss is.