A picture is worth a thousand words. But for Mason Greenwood, it was a fate far worse than just a thousand words. The young Manchester United young woman was embroiled in a controversy when her friend Harriet Robson uploaded photos, videos and audio clips to her account indicating that she was the victim of a physical assault. “To everyone who wants to know what Mason Greenwood me is actually doing,” the caption said.
– Wilshere (@kb_gyan) March 31, 2022
This problem immediately flared up with Manchester United with the player being suspended. He was later arrested. He was out on bail but was far from the spotlight. With his departure, Manchester United is now looking for reinforcements in the summer transfer window.
Where is Mason Greenwood?
Although not noticed since his arrest, Mason Greenwood was first seen on April 1, driving around Cheshire while wearing a Cartier balaclava.
But fans on social media suddenly started asking about his whereabouts after it was discovered that Greenwood’s profile is still on the Manchester United website. It is noteworthy that United prevented him from entering the club and its buildings. In addition, his profile has also been removed, which is why fans are wondering if he can be brought back to the team.
However, Manchester Evening News reporter Samuel Lockhurst reports that his profile has only been removed from the club’s app and not from the website. This means that the club’s position on the issue has remained the same.
On Mason Greenwood’s profile, he was removed from the United app when he was removed from the team in January for exclusion from interactive elements. His profile has always been listed on the desktop site because #mufc player. The club says Greenwood’s situation has not changed.
– Samuel Lockhurst (@samuelluckhurst) March 31, 2022
This sparked responses from many fans who wanted Greenwood back on the team. Some fans have even gone so far as to declare him innocent and cast doubt on Harriet Robson’s claim.
Many fans also said Greenwood was one of the few positives in a season in which they suffered humiliating defeats.
And since cases like this take months or even years to wind up, it could be a long time before Greenwood (if acquitted of all charges) takes the field.
There were also no significant reports of him in the media.
Read also: Who is Kobe Maino: The ‘new Pogba’ dominates Manchester United’s youth teams
Is Mason Greenwood still one of the ranks of Manchester United?
Yes, it still is. Although suspended by the club, he is still a player. The club did not take the step to terminate his contract. The reason may be simple if in the future Greenwood is declared free of all charges, the act of terminating his contract will be deemed unlawful. Under the circumstances, Greenwood could sue the club, which could be more than his contract is worth.
Meanwhile, Greenwood’s sponsor, Nike, has had no such difficulty as he terminated his contract with the player without any payments. However, the American multinational had a clause in the contract that helped them. Under the clause, if Greenwood’s actions cause damage to Nike’s reputation and loss of commercial value, the agreement may be terminated immediately.
Read also: Why are Manchester United called the Red Devils?
What next after Mason Greenwood?
His current sponsorship expires on April 30th. Therefore, until then, he is free to move, considering that he follows all the rules of bail. It remains to be seen if the bail will be extended or if he will return to prison. Manchester United have made it clear that until the legal process is over, Greenwood will not return.
Even if he is acquitted (which could take a long time), United could accept the player for premature termination.
Read also: The five best English Premier League title races in history
- January 30, 2022: Pictures of Harriet Robson stained with blood and bruises appear on her Instagram account. Although the photos were later deleted, they went viral on various social media platforms.
- January 30, 2022: Greater Manchester Police issued a statement. “Greater Manchester Police became aware earlier today (Sunday, 30 January) of photos and videos on online social media sites posted by a woman reporting incidents of physical violence. An investigation has been opened and, following inquiries, we can confirm that a man in his twenties has since been arrested. Now, he is suspected of having committed a crime of rape and assault. He is still in detention for interrogation. The statement said, “Investigations are ongoing.”
- January 30, 2022: Manchester United issued a statement on the same day with Greenwood’s suspension. “Mason Greenwood will not return to training or play matches until further notice,” the statement read.
- January 30, 2022: Reports indicate that Mason Greenwood has been arrested on suspicion of sexual assault and death threat.
- January 31, 2022: Greenwood is More arrests suspected of sexual assault.
- February 1, 2022: Manchester United issued a new statement on this issue. “Manchester United reiterates its strong condemnation of violence of any kind. As previously stated, Mason Greenwood will not train with or play for the club until further notice.”
- February 1, 2022: Mason Greenwood has been removed from FIFA 22 offline modes.
- February 2, 2022: Greenwood was released on bail. The bail expiration date has been set for April 30th.
- February 4, 2022: Harriet Robson issues a statement for the first time since her photos went viral. “I am grateful to everyone who has sent messages of support and encouragement – thank you. The past few days have been very difficult and I am taking a break from social media while the police conduct their investigations,” she wrote on Instagram.
- February 7, 2022: Nike is terminating its contract with Greenwood.
- February 7, 2022: PES and FIFA have removed Greenwood from their games.
- February 25, 2022: Greenwood removed from Football Manager 22
- April 1, 2022: Mason Greenwood was first seen since the allegations.
- April 30, 2022: Greenwood warranty expiration date.